High: 51°F ~ Low: 23°F
Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013
Looking ahead to 2008Posted Monday, December 31, 2007, at 8:50 AM
We've been looking back over the past year on this site and our print editions.
It's time to look into 2008.
What does Bedford County need most for the new year? Here are my suggestions, not in any particular order.
* More respect by employers toward Americans.
* New, and younger, faces in local politics. It sometimes seems that one group of the same old few people dominate everything. Also, an realization that "leaders" aren't limited to the ranks of so-called white-collar professionals.
* And, generally, a more progressive attitude.
* Agreement on what to do with empty publicly-owned buildings. I say use them or sell them. Even if they sell for less than hoped for, that's still better than not selling at all. Honestly, there's not that much future for 1939 (old Central High) and 1950 (old hospital) vintage buildings. Shelbyville has way too many empty buildings, both publically and privately owned.
* Some way to better fund new public buildings. I realize we don't have as big a tax base as other nearby counties. But it's sort of disheartening to see cutbacks from original plans on every single new school building. Just once I'd like to see something with an appearance more than one step beyond what I'll call "institutional brick."
* A modern movie theater, based on some comments we've had onsite over the past few months. This is in no way criticism of the Capri or its owners. They deserve many thanks and much appreciation. But a modern city needs a modern facility.
Here's to 2008. May it be our -- and your -- best year yet.
Showing most recent comments first
[Show in chronological order instead]
David Melson is a copy editor and staff writer for the Times-Gazette.
Hot topicsPicturing the Past 196: Landers & Russell Gulf
(3 ~ 4:32 PM, Dec 9)
Picturing the Past 195: Merry-Go-Round
Picturing the Past 34: Simon Warner's cafe
Picturing the Past 188: Muscle cars in the showroom
Picturing the Past 184: Hootenanny lineup