Donated venison is being discarded at food pantries in North Dakota after fragments from lead bullets were found, according to an Associated Press story today.
The fragments were like "lead dust" rather than detectable pieces of metal, a physician said.
Makes me wonder what, if anything, hunters here and elsewhere have been ingesting over the years. Apparently it's not hurting anyone.
Sometimes I wonder if food safety rules go too far, though I also sometimes think federal regulations may not go far enough.
I don't feel a threat from the American food supply in general; maybe I should be, judging from some of the problems we've heard of in the past few years. I did quit buying bagged salads but now feel like that threat's probably over.
The real threat to our health may be from those few restaurants with unsanitary food service areas, that don't keep food heated or cooled properly or let employees with dirty hands handle food, etc. Seems like so many food poisoning cases we hear of originate from restaurants.