I am not sure that conundrum is the best choice of words for my quandary, but I like both conundrum and quandary, so I figured I would use them.
At issue is what to do about the remaining "drop-off" cats down by the road. While we have light rains, there is water in a small stream behind them, but now the next 5 days should be dry. Even if the rain comes, it is getting colder at night and any water will freeze.
With food and water, the cats could probably continue to survive through our winter, but eventually the coyotes are going to get a few and maybe the road as well. So, their future does not look good, unless they are adopted.
I can now catch them, but what do I do then? When I look into their eyes, I can not help but ask myself what I would want a greater power to do for me. Allow me to give my life a fighting chance or have me put to sleep. With those choices, my decision would be clear. I would want the chance to live.
We could feed six more cats, but I after just having two strays "fixed" a month ago, it would not be fiscally responsible to our family budget to get six more operated on, plus shots and maybe flea treatments. But can I put a dollar value on their lives?
I don't think I have ever had an ulcer, but I could certainly develop one now. What to do? What to do?