[Masthead] Overcast ~ 57°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 56°F
Friday, Jan. 20, 2017

Weed'em & Reap work day and ramblings

Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010, at 7:07 PM

We worked on the garden at Celebration Way today but did not get too far. Jere's electric tiller was trying hard but the clay and rocks proved to be too much.

Where Bobby P. turned some soil with the shovel, it did OK, but the rocks were still formidable. We eventually decided to save the tiller and dig select holes for tomatoes during our next meeting this coming Saturday.

We'll mix peat, and top soil with fertilizer and then use the water blanket Jere is testing for a National Gardening group. May test growing in bags of potting soil and a few hay bale gardens to compare their success.

Showing most recent comments first
[Show in chronological order instead]

Thanks Cherokee2. We need to get you to the garden club one weeek to talk about your straw bale success. One of our members built some for his Mom and they were a big hit.

This caused more questions and I believe you have the most experience with answers.n Plus, we would like to do a few at the Assisted Living garden to let folks see for themsleves. I am sure it woul help some of our more seasoned gardeners.

-- Posted by stevemills on Mon, May 17, 2010, at 11:19 AM

Good article Steve. Yours is my 1st read on T-g everyday. But I have a question for you. A number of my tomatoe blossoms are turning yellow at their base while they are small and then falling off. First time I have seen this. Does any one in your readership have a solution?

-- Posted by cherokee2 on Mon, May 17, 2010, at 10:07 AM

I know folks had some hard rains right where they did not need them, but the rain on our hills are welcome. Actually been waiting a few extra days for them.

After getting pretty wet feeding the stray cat family I decided why waste it? Instead of scrambling for cover this morning I chose to embrace the rain and started working on our water feature, (goldfish pond and water falls) I usually dislike water on my glasses, but it was inevitable so "no worries mate".

No raincoat, no hat, just count on getting wet. I kind of liked it. I stayed cooler, couldn't tell if I was sweating, and the weeds came out easier. Oh yes, I forgot, weeding was added to the list after the pond. The rain took a break from raining, so I took a break and came in to share with you, without the mess and smell of course.

We don't have a water vacuum to pull all the mud off the bottom, and actually not sure that I should pull it all off, but some had to go or we would not have a pond, more a bog. I pulled all of the watercress except one plant to start the batch over again.

The roots are great for filtering the water as it recycles between the upper collection point and lower pond, so I don't want to see it go, but I needed to regain some control and clean the muck it had filtered.

I thought sure that PITA would join me in the pond now that she has been cleared by the vet from her "operation". In fact yesterday she chose the smallest, upper pond to stick her head in and try to lay down. She succeeded in getting mud on her, but has grown too big to flop in that small space.

Strangely, she stayed out of the lower pond. Guess she thinks there is only room for one dawg in there at a time.

-- Posted by stevemills on Sun, May 16, 2010, at 9:53 AM

Respond to this blog

Posting a comment requires free registration:

Steve Mills and his wife have one daughter. They previously owned two coffee/ice cream shops, currently operate an internet sales company and teach classes, but his primary job involves the paper industry worldwide. Hobbies and interests lie in gardening, photography, recorded music and of course, their pets.