High: 78°F ~ Low: 61°F
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
WARNING! Bird lovers of ANY kind. Teflon fumes will kill.Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012, at 9:14 AM
I tried to get the most important things out in the headline, but here is some more information.
Since I am not a "keeper of birds", I do not keep up on things like this, so it may not be new to you, but the new chicken farmer or bird hobbyist take note, the fumes that come from Teflon being heated, can and most likely will kill your birds.
Now unless you keep birds in your kitchen, you might think that cannot affect you but a recent article in Farm Show magazine pointed out that many of the rugged duty light bulbs use Teflon to cover their bulbs. http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?ai...
Some manufacturers do not put any warning on the bulb about their coating. GE Rough Service Worklight 100 may not have any comment or warning. Sylvania Rough Service Frosted apparently does.
Regardless, either one can kill your flock if they are in an enclosed area or come into long enough contact, like using it to heat an area or warm a water dish to keep from freezing.
Here is one tragic story, but Google it and you will find MUCH more. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues...
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
Respond to this blog
Posting a comment requires free registration:
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Steve Mills
Steve Mills and his wife have one daughter and live on a farm outside of Bell Buckle. They previously owned two coffee/ice cream shops, currently operate an internet sales company and teach classes, but his primary job involves the paper industry worldwide. Hobbies and interests lie in gardening, photography, recorded music and of course, their pets.
Hot topicsGarden updates with a dose of cats.
(4 ~ 12:15 PM, Jun 1)
Garden Club "Pot Luck" meeting Friday May 22nd.It' over!
Gaining an hour or more a day by cutting back on "social media"?
Garden gleanings of a twisted mind.
Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is over!