[Masthead] Overcast ~ 39°F  
High: 43°F ~ Low: 29°F
Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014

Quick response averts nursing home tragedy

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Tragedy was seemingly averted Monday night at the Bedford County Nursing Home when a fire call came at 10:15. No one was hurt and property damage was kept to a minimum.

According to the official report from Shelbyville Fire Chief John Habel: "The first arriving crew observed light smoke coming from the nursing home. Nursing home staff were evacuating patients when the [fire] captain on duty ordered a second alarm turned in. [The staff] advised firefighters the fire was in the physical therapy room on the main floor. Cpt. Larry Overcast and firefighter Jason Blanton made entry into the involved room and extinguished the fire using pressurized water extinguishers."

The report further states the fire originated in the southeast corner of the room with a faulty electrical fan as the apparent cause. The damage was confined to the room with smoke damage in the hallway.

The Shelbyville Fire and Police Departments, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Bedford County Emergency Management Service, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Volunteer Fire Services, Inc., Wartrace Police Department and many volunteers were at the scene to evacuate the 101 residents and help in any way they could. "It couldn't have gone any better," Habel said.