School locked down when suspects seen nearby
Officers briefly put Eakin Primary School on partial lockdown around midday Tuesday while searching for two men suspected in a "gas driveoff" from a convenience store.
The men were spotted getting out of a car on Lucas Road near the school, police said. One was arrested in a wooded area a few hundred yards from Eakin.
None of the men actually entered the school and students were not endangered at any time, police said.
Officers searched the school, accompanied by Eakin personnel, and cars in the parking lot, finding nothing suspicious.
Shelbyville police say they were forced to taser a fleeing suspect Monday, Feb. 13, according to a report not released until Tuesday, Feb. 20.
Steven Tyus, 20, Tollgate Road, was found hiding in woods near Locust Street after running from Officer Bruce Davis during a traffic stop.
"He was ordered to come out from the brush at which time he did not listen to ... commands to come out," Davis said. "I used the taser to subdue him, at which time he became cooperative to my commands."
Tyus was stopped about 2:25 p.m. after Elizabeth Street residents reported a "suspicious male driving a brown Chevy truck who was knocking on several doors in the area."
Upon overhearing police radio traffic indicating outstanding warrants, Tyus started backing the truck away, Davis said, before running away on foot after sideswiping a tree.
The truck, owned by Arturo Molina Ortega of Smyrna, had been reported stolen Feb. 4 from a Shelbyville residence.
Tyus was charged with resisting arrest, carrying an unlawful weapon, evading arrest, driving on a suspended license and "stolen property offenses," police said.
A 9mm Beretta pistol and $480 cash were taken from the home of Sherri Leigh Forrester, Kingree Road, between Feb. 11-16.
*A pit bull was stolen from a Woodland Avenue yard between Saturday and Sunday mornings, police say.
"Scarface" is mostly black with white feet and was wearing a two-inch black nylon collar with chrome buckle, Jonathan Wayne Sanders said.
The dog had been within a pen in Sanders' back yard.
* The search continues for cattle which strayed or were stolen from a Moore County farm a month ago.
Two red Limousin calves and two yellow Charolais cattle, one with a brass ring in its nose, disappeared from the Ottie B. Pierce farm in the Buckeye community near the Bedford County line, Danny Bobo of Lynchburg said.
The cattle were last seen Jan. 20 on New Herman Road, Bobo said. He has notified law enforcement, area stockyards and Bedford Farmers Co-Op.
The following persons were arrested since Friday by the Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force and processed through Bedford County Jail. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Kenneth Harold Lorenz, 53, Bell Buckle (Rutherford County); public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Bobby Joe Vandergriff Jr., 40, Russellville, Ky.; failure to appear, violation of order of protection; released, $7,500 bond
* Rebecca Sue Lambert, 43, Lawrenceburg; theft of property; released, $500 bond
* Delores Darlene Roberts, 40, Jack Pickle Road; driving on revoked/suspended license; released, $5,000 bond
* Donald Glen Hiles, 45, White Drive; possession of schedule II drug; released, $5,000 bond
* Albert Eugene Rucks, 27, Bird Street; driving on revoked/suspended license, violation of probation, failure to appear; released, $3,250 bond
* Lorenzo Alamillo, 53, South Cannon Boulevard; no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, $750 bond
* Abner Rios, 23, Cedar Grove Street; no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, $750 bond
* Bryan Allen Johnson, 21, Julia Court; violation check law; released, $3,750 bond
* Tiearia Marisha Holmes, 36, Tullahoma; violation of parole, two counts violation check law; held, no bond listed
* Carrie Mae Kernen, 35, South Maple Street; public intoxication; held, $500 bond
* Francis Lewis Bathe, 53, Madison Street; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Charles Raymond Bathe, 47, Lenox, Mich.; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Trent Allen Helton, 40, Union Street; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Gabriel Escalante, 26, Maplewood Drive; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Christopher Allen Peacock, 20, Richdale Lane; DUI; released, $2,500 bond
* Luis Gonzalez Gonzalez, 24, Maplewood Drive; DUI, no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, $3,250 bond
* Langston Tavares Taylor, 24, Hannah Street, Bell Buckle; failure to appear, violation check law; held, $3,000 bond
* Thomas Joseph Simpson, 50, East Cedar Street; driving on revoked/suspended license; held, $6,500 bond
* Dametria Antrine Marshall, 33, Nashville; driving on revoked/suspended license; released, $250 bond
* Timothy Drew Tucker, 19, Haunt Hollow Road; driving on revoked/suspended license; released, $250 bond
* Paul Ray Wilson, 40, Haunt Hollow Road; simple possession, public intoxication; released, $1,000 bond
* Brenda Louise Harrell, 34, Warners Bridge Road; violation check law; released, $750 bond
* Marcos Perez Hernandez, 27, Sevier Street; driving on revoked/suspended license; released, $250 bond
* Kip Douglas Frazier, 41, Mallorn Court; domestic assault; released, $5,000 bond
* Reynato Perez Garcia, 20, Elizabeth Street; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Holly Ann Sanders, 20, Barksdale Lane; failure to appear; held, $2,500 bond
* Janice Marie Polly, 54, Scott Lane; driving on revoked/suspended license; released, $250 bond
* George Scott Mason, 35, Deery Street; criminal responsibility for conduct of another; released, $5,000 bond
* Tony Bernard Gant, 35, Tullahoma; evading arrest; released, $5,000 bond
* Paul Monroe Hunter, 27, Winchester; possession of schedule II drug, resist stop/frisk/halt/search; held, $23,500 bond
* Angel Galindo Carmona, 27, Unionville-Deason Road; leaving scene of accident; released, $1,000 bond