A Tullahoma man indicted Monday by Bedford County's grand jury on rape and kidnapping charges was given an extra 20 days in jail for contempt after walking away from questioning before a judge.
James Lynne Stewart, 51, of South Anderson Street, Tullahoma was indicted on the charges of especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape, aggravated assault and theft over $500 in connection with an alleged incident in 2002.
Stewart was brought before Circuit Court Judge Robert Crigler to answer routine questions concerning his legal representation, but Stewart took a contemptuous tone with the judge and Crigler warned him that he would be charged with contempt of court if it continued.
The exchange became more heated when Crigler asked Stewart if he had filled out an affidavit about his financial status. Stewart said he could not see the document because he did not have his glasses.
Crigler asked Stewart if he had any income to hire an attorney and the defendant asked how could he have a job while being in jail for the past year. Stewart then walked away from the podium.
That action caused Crigler to give Stewart 10 days for contempt, and as Stewart walked away, he made an inaudible comment that prompted the judge to double the contempt charge.
Stewart is currently being held at Bedford County Jail under $190,000 bond. According to warrants filed in General Sessions Court, Stewart allegedly raped a woman in her vehicle on Aug. 16, 2002, in Bedford County.
The warrant read that "during this confinement, he (Stewart) did assault the victim and she did suffer serious bodily injury. Her left check was fractured and also did require three stitches and also required a stitch in her nose."
The warrant also stated the victim "also had bruising, cuts and scrapes all about her head area."
The vehicle was allegedly taken from the victim from the Normandy area and discovered abandoned in the Bi-Lo parking lot in Tullahoma the next day by Tullahoma police, the warrants allege. The warrant for aggravated rape alleges that another man was involved but did not name him.
Others indicted by the grand jury on Monday were:
* Jennah Atkins, 22, promotion of methamphetamine manufacture, simple possession of schedule VI.
* James Edward Church, 45, habitual traffic offender, DUI 5th offense.
* Brandy Renee Cook, 24, prescription fraud.
* Lewis Jeffery Cox, 51, violation of sexual offender registry.
* Michael Arthur Crosslin, 41, habitual traffic offender, immediate notice of accident.
* Dragus Montez Dixon, 19, auto burglary (five counts) theft under $500 (three counts).
* Crystal Dawn Fiske, 20, forgery (11 counts).
* Robert Dean Garrett, 48, DUI 5th offense, driving on revoked, violation of implied consent, seat belt.
* P.G. Guy, 63, sale of schedule III, delivery of schedule III.
* Phillip Lamont Hendricks, 32, conspiracy to distribute schedule II (two counts), sale of schedule II (two counts), delivery of schedule II (two counts), possession of schedule II for resale (two counts), possession of schedule II for delivery (two counts), failure to appear (two counts).
* Joseph Valentine Hill, 43, DUI 2nd offense, aggravated assault (seven counts)
* Keith McAllister, 50, sale of schedule II, delivery of schedule II, conspiracy to sell and deliver schedule II.
* Winford Elmore McAnally, 54, DUI 6th offense, driving on revoked 2nd offense.
* Jeffery Thomas McGee, 48, habitual traffic offender, open container law.
* Jose Manuel G. Perez, 21, forgery (11 counts).
* Willie Thomas Pewitte, 45, possession of schedule II for resale, possession of schedule II for delivery.
* Robert Andrew Slaughter, 21, theft under $500 (three counts), theft under $500-$1,000, (two counts), theft of $1,000 to $10,000.
* Joshua Daniel Smith, 27, solicitation of a minor (two counts), sexual exploitation of a minor (two counts).
* Gary Franzell Smith, Jr., 28, sale of schedule II, delivery of schedule II, possession of schedule II for resale, possession of schedule II for delivery, possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Donald Keith Solomon, 30, theft over $1,000 (three counts).
* Dewayne Lewis Starr, 31, habitual traffic offender.
* David Glenn Trombley, II, 24, sale of schedule II (two counts), delivery of schedule II (two counts), sale of schedule I, delivery of schedule I.