Officers taser pit bull to stop attack on patrol car
Shelbyville police said they were forced to use a Taser on a pit bull which attacked a patrol car Monday.
The dog was subdued and taken to Shelbyville's animal shelter, Maj. Jan. Phillips' report said.
Officers found the dog, which had been reported at large behind a West Lane Street home, outside an unoccupied house on nearby Central Avenue near another dog tied to a tree.
As Phillips pulled into the driveway of the home, the dog at large attacked.
"The pit bull charged the front of my patrol car," Phillips said. "He bit into the front bumper and also clawed it causing damage to the front end in several locations."
An officer attempted to Taser the dog so it could be restrained with a catch pole but one of the probes missed, Phillips said.
Animal Control officer Randy McCullough used Phillips' Taser to subdue the dog until it could be controlled with the pole.
Officers said they had not determined the owner of the dogs. The dog which had been tied to a tree was put into a pen at the home and given water, police said.
Two rifles, one which the owner said was loaded, were stolen from a Stonefield Circle home last week, police reported.
The FNH USA 5.7x28mm carbine rifle and ammunition and a loaded High Point .40-caliber rifle were stolen between Aug. 27 and Sept. 6.
Police were told Sunday a car driven by a woman who has a key to the home was seen leaving earlier in the week.
Wallets, purses taken
Several purses and wallets were taken in the Shelbyville area over the weekend, according to police.
* A lost wallet was accidentally given to the wrong person by an employee of a Shelbyville store.
The wallet had been left on a checkout counter at United Grocery Outlet, Big Springs Shopping Center, at 5 p.m. Saturday, police said.
An employee told the wallet's actual owner she thought it belonged to the customer who had checked out behind her and had carried it out to that person's car.
The woman who left with the wallet was described as white, in her mid-to-late 40s with long black hair and driving a small gray or silver car.
The store employee told police it seemed unusual that the woman took the wallet from her and thew it in the back seat.
* A wallet and contents were taken Friday from an employee's purse at Sally Beauty Supply, North Main Street.
The suspect entered an employees-only area where the purse was and told the employee she was looking for the restroom. The employee later became suspicious and discovered the theft, police said.
Personal documents and $23 were within the wallet, the victim told police.
* A purse belonging to a Shelbyville woman was stolen Monday from an unlocked car at Riverwalk Park behind Shelbyville Power Co.
* A wallet and cell phone were stolen from a Shelbyville man who had removed them from his pocket while cleaning up after being punched in the nose by his cousin Thursday night, police said.
The assault occurred at an Earnhart Street home, police said.
The victim later sought treatment for a broken nose at Heritage Medical Center's emergency room, police said.
* An in-dash compact disc player and two speakers were stolen from a car on Earnhart Street between 10 a.m. Sunday and 3 a.m. Monday, police said.
Entry was made by breaking a window.
Police also said:
* Four rings and two bottles of prescription medication were stolen from a King Avenue residence last week.
The rings were missing from a nightstand and the medication from the kitchen since Sept. 1.
No signs of forced entry were found.
* A cell phone was taken from a South Cannon Boulevard home between 10 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. Friday.
The following were arrested since Friday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force or Tennessee Highway Patrol. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Juan Baltazar Baltazar, 37, Cedar River Road; DUI, driving on revoked license, registration law; held, $5,000 bond
* Miguel Diego Baltazar, 18, Bridlewood Drive; public intoxication; held, $250 bond
* Toby Dewayne Brazier, 29, Manchester; violation of probation; released, $2,500 bond
* Guillermo Arcuna Cardenas, 23, Belmont Avenue; no driver's license; held, $250 bond
* William Mitchell Carroll, 41, Kingston Corner Road; possession of schedule III drug; released, $5,000 bond
* Jerry Lee Cleveland, 34, Taylor Creek Lane; violation of probation; released, $2,500 bond
* Mario Hernandez Cruz, 24, Lewisburg; DUI, no driver's license/exhibited on demand, financial responsibility, implied consent law; released, $3,000 bond
* Pedro Luera Cruz, 50, Madison Street; habitual motor vehicle offender; released, $1,000 bond
* Horace Cliff Curry, 20, Murfreesboro; assault; held, $1,000 bond
* Roman Estevan Diaz, 21, Woodbury Street; public intoxication, disorderly conduct; released, $2,500 bond
* Pedro Morales Garcia, 30, Ranchero Drive; public intoxication; held, $250 bond
* Terry Anderson George Jr., 55, South Brittain Street; DUI; released, $1,000 bond
* Christopher Garcia Gonzalez, 18, La Vergne; theft of property, resist stop/frisk/halt/search, evading arrest, reckless driving, reckless endangerment, driving on revoked/suspended license, simple possession; held, $43,500 bond
* Lisa Diane Leverette, 37, Industrial Parkway; violation of probation; released, $2,500 bond
* Joey Lee Miles, 27, White Street; driving on revoked/suspended license, simple possession, possession of drug paraphernalia; released, $3,500 bond
* Ryan Curtis Morton, 19, Walker Road; drinking age law; released, $250 bond
* Marcus DeCarlo Nevils, 35, Franklin; domestic assault; released, $2,500 bond
* David Blake Nippers, 19, Jack Pickle Road; possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of schedule VI drug; released, $1,500 bond
* Julie Jones Parks, 35, Statesville, N.C.; DUI, implied consent law, possession of a handgun while under the influence, possession of a weapon; held, $5,500 bond
* Kristina Renee Pruitt, 19, Fox Run Road; domestic assault; released, $1,000 bond
* Raffe Perry Roberts, 27, Cannon Road; DUI, driving on revoked license; released, $7,000 bond
* Michael Patton Stewart, 44, Murfreesboro; possession of schedule II drug, possession of schedule VI drug; released, $5,000 bond
* James Earl Taylor, 41, Pass Road; domestic assault; released, $2,500 bond
* Fernando Morales Torres, 26, Blue Ribbon Parkway; DUI, no driver's license; held, $3,000 bond
* Sandra Lee Watson, 60, U.S. 41-A North, Unionville; DUI; released, $1,500 bond
* Walter Ryan Webb, 25, Murfreesboro; DUI; released, $1,500 bond
* Trina Howard Whaley, 40, Montgomery Road; theft of property; released, $5,000 bond
* Charlie Clarence Witherspoon, 44, Murfreesboro; DUI; held, $2,500 bond