(T-G Photo by Mary Reeves) [Order this photo]
But by the time Wednesday night was over -- some of them had pie on their faces.
(T-G Photo by Mary Reeves)
"The trainers on the board asked us to do some kind of fundraiser," she said. "We originally thought about a fall festival."
The plans for that didn't gel quickly enough and the auxiliary members realized that the night before the Trainers' Show would be perfect.
"It's gone from four nights to three, so we had the night available," said Smith. "Everybody's in town. It's a good way to get started."
The event included a kids' corner with a bounce house, a duck pond, face painting and other kid-friendly games and activities. The Pony Plop, like Cow Pie Bingo, allowed contestants to "buy" a square and wherever the pony plopped, that square owner won half of the pot, with the other half going to the trainers association.
"We've also got the pit throw," said Smith.
Several well known trainers, including Mickey McCormick, volunteered to be human targets for cream pie marksmen, who got three pies and tries for only $5.
But that was last night. Today, it's back to serious business with the first big show of the season starting at 5:30 p.m. Like the Spring Fun Show, the trainers' Show is often a launching pad for the equine superstars who will dominate the center ring for the next five or six months. For instance, Godfather by Ultra Copy, owned by Courtney and Alex Luttrell, won Amateur Show Pleasure Specialty at the trainers' Show and went on to win the Owner Amateur Show Pleasure World Grand Championship at the Celebration.
From today until Saturday evening, the horses will "walk on" at Calsonic Arena while fans watch, or browse the vendors' stalls on the mezzanine.
"I think it's going to be a good show," said Dale Barnett, the Celebration's new marketing and media director. "We're ready."
The Celebration hosts the show which is put on by the WHTA. The judges this year will be WHTA President Bill Cantrell, Tommy Howell and Larry Wheelon.
The Trainers Show webcast will begin at 5:30 p.m. time each night beginning today through Saturday at walkinghorsetrainers.com. It will only work during the show. Windows Media Player and a high speed internet connection are required.
1. Model, Open
2. Walking Mares and Geldings, 15'2 and Under (RIDER CUP)
3. Show Pleasure, Open, Specialty
4. Amateur Two Year Old Stallions
5. Lite Shod, Open, Specialty
6. Amateur Two Year Old, Walking Mares and Geldings
7. Pro-Am Class, Specialty
8. Plantation Pleasure Open Specialty
9. Amateur Walking Stallions, Mares, and Geldings (Canter)
10. Amateur Three Year Old Stallions
11. Amateur Riders on Walking Horses, Riders 50 and Over, Specialty
12. Amateur Pony Class Specialty
13. Park Pleasure, Open, Specialty
14. Amateur Three Year Old Mares and Geldings
15. Western Lite Shod, Specialty
16. Amateur Four Year Old Mares and Gelding, Specialty
17. Walking Stallions, Mares, and Geldings, 15.2 and Over (Five Years and Over) Specialty (RIDER CUP)
18. Amateur Men's, Specialty
19. Amateur Park Performance, Specialty
20. Amateur Show Pleasure, Specialty
21. Amateur Four Year Old Stallions, Specialty
22. Amateur Yearling
23. Youth Mares and Geldings 11 and Under
24. Amateur Lite Shod, Specialty
25. Amateur Ladies Specialty
26. Country Pleasure 18 and over
27. Three Year Old Stallions Open (RIDER CUP)
28. Plantation Pleasure Amateur Specialty
29. Open Yearling Fillies
30. Four Year Old Mare and Gelding (RIDER CUP)
31. Amateur Park Pleasure, Specialty
32. Youth Mares and Geldings 12-17
33. Trail Pleasure Amateur, Specialty (English)
34. Juvenile Show Pleasure 17 and Under, Specialty
35. Open Yearling Colts
36. Amateur 15.2 and Under Stallions, Specialty
37. Youth Lite Shod, 17 and Under, Specialty
38. Amateur 15.2 and Under Mares and Geldings, Specialty
39. Trail Pleasure Amateur, Specialty (Western)
40. Three Year Old Open Mares and Geldings (RIDER CUP)
41. Park Performance, Open Specialty
42. W.H.T.Auxiliary Class, Specialty (Members Only)
43. Western Park Pleasure, Specialty
STICK HORSE CLASS (Beginning of show)
44. Two Year Old Mares and Geldings Open (RIDER CUP)
45. Country Pleasure 17 and Under
46. Walking Stallions 15.2 and Under Specialty (RIDER CUP)
47. Trail Pleasure Juvenile, Specialty, Optional Tack
48. Two Year Old Stallions (RIDER CUP)
49. Lite Shod Open, Specialty Championship
50. Juvenile Specialty Championship
51. Trail Pleasure Amateur, Specialty Championship (Optional Tack)
52. Walking Ponies 60" and Under, Riders 17 and Under, Specialty
53. Park Pleasure Open Specialty Championship
54. Four Year Old Stallions (Canter) (RIDER CUP)
55. Amateur Championship (Canter)
56. Country Pleasure Championship
57. Grooms Class Specialty (Rider must not have a Trainer's Lic.)
58. Amateur Specialty Championship
59. Walking Horse Aux. Equitation 17 and Under, No Canter
60. Francis C. Gentry Ladies Specialty Championship
61. Show Pleasure Specialty Championship
62. Walking Horse Aux. Equitation, Open, Canter
63. W.H.T.A. Championship Stake (RIDER CUP)