[Masthead] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 83°F ~ Low: 68°F
Wednesday, July 1, 2015

'My boys' bark, save fire victim's life

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

(Photo)
Doyce Mitchell stands in front of his burned trailer on Jack Pickle Road and looks at debris torn off during firefighting efforts.
(T-G Photo by David Melson)
Doyce Mitchell says he realizes the end result of the electrical fire that singed his Jack Pickle Road trailer home Monday could have been much worse.

"If it wasn't for my boys" -- three Jack Russell terriers -- "I'd have been cooked," Mitchell said.

Filled with smoke

The barking of Luke, Lukie and Pinch woke Mitchell, who saw smoke and got out along with the dogs.

"My dogs woke me up at about 6:30," Mitchell said.

"When the boys woke me up I saw a little bit of smoke, came back and looked and the fuse box was on fire."

Mitchell, his mother Naomi Mitchell, and firefighters said the fire originated in a fuse box which had been mounted on the outside of the trailer.

(Photo)
The remains of the fuse box which Doyce Mitchell said caught fire and burned his home.
(T-G Photo by David Melson)
Fuse box sparks

Electrical problems which sparked the blaze apparently began over the weekend, the Mitchells said.

"I got pretty sick from a plastic smell Sunday night," Doyce said.

"He's been smelling rubber or something for a couple of days and it had him almost sick last night," said Naomi, from whom Doyce rents the land on which the trailer sits.

The trailer's outside walls still stand but much of the inside is gutted. Doyce said his property was insured.

"Put in the paper I need a job and a house," Doyce said.