A dog was beaten to death and thousands of dollars worth of items stolen from a Midland Road home Friday or Saturday, sheriff's department investigators said.
The Walker coon hound, which had been tied by a doghouse, was dead when the owner arrived home about 3 p.m. Saturday, according to a report filed by Cpl. Ronnie Gault. A relative had been at the home Friday afternoon and the dog was fine at that time.
Two large screen televisions, two Sony Playstations, two Nintendo 3ds systems, helmets, 13 fishing rods and reels were stolen, the report said.
The mother of an 8-year-old boy who asked a stranger for food because his mother was passed out drunk fought officers as she was being arrested for child neglect Friday, Shelbyville police said.
Officers went to Abigail Crouse's trailer on Bethany Lane after the boy told a neighbor he hadn't eaten all day due to his mother's condition. Crouse, 31, was "unsteady on her feet and had a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage" when she answered the door, officer Jody Shelton said.
When asked by Shelton if she knew where her son was, she said, "He should be here," then gave another nearby location, not the one where the occupant had given the boy a McDonald's "Happy Meal."
Crouse asked, "Why?" when told she was being arrested for child neglect, then began spinning in circles and pulling her arms into her chest, Shelton said. An officer had to pin Crouse against a patrol car to handcuff her, and she began kicking an officer as she was physically lifted into the patrol car, Shelton said.
Charges of child neglect, child endangerment, resisting arrest, assault and disorderly conduct were filed against Crouse.
The child was placed into custody of the Department of Child Services.
A driver who allegedly nearly struck a Shelbyville police car Saturday on West Jackson Street told officers they smelled marijuana on him because he had just finished smoking some, but there were no drugs in his vehicle.
But officers were told by a passenger in Matthew Allen Gordon's vehicle, who said she didn't want to go to jail, that there were two bags of marijuana under her seat.
Officer John Cooke found 4.76 grams of marijuana and arrested Gordon, 23, of Kingston Corner Road, who had crossed into the officer's lane while turning from West Jackson onto Sharpie Way.
Gordon told State Trooper Tommie Boleyn that he has been smoking marijuana for five years and smokes about three times a day because it calms him down and makes his attitude toward people change.
Charges of possession of a schedule VI drug, DUI, driving on a suspended license, implied consent and failure to maintain lane were filed against Gordon, who posted $5,000 bond. The passenger didn't go to jail.
A bicycle was stolen from the back yard of a Fairoak Street residence Friday afternoon, police were told.
The following were arrested since Saturday by the Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Jose Luis Acosta, 35, Landers Street; public intoxication, possession of a weapon; held, $2,000 bond
* Christopher Michael Adams, 38, Hickory Drive; assault; summons delivered
* Ashley Gale Armistead, 39, Wright Road; shoplifting; released, $250 bond
* Anthony Nolan Clardy, 34, Hendersonville; resist stop/frisk/halt/search, evading arrest; released, $10,000 bond
* Jesse Warren Cox Jr., 61, McKinley Street, Wartrace; violation of order of protection; released, $2,500 bond
* Matthew Allen Gordon, 23, Kingston Corner Road; DUI, possession of schedule VI drug, driving on suspended license, implied consent, failure to maintain lane; released, $5,000 bond
* Bobby Frank Hargrove, 67, Chapel Hill; public intoxication; held, $250 bond
* Steven Winfield Little, 28, South Cannon Boulevard; DUI, failure to maintain lane, implied consent, domestic assault; released, $5,000 bond
* James Edgar Lynch, 45, Paschal Road; domestic assault; released, $2,500 bond
* Luis Fernando Ochoa-Huerta, 27, Warners Bridge Road; DUI, no driver's license/exhibited on demand, open container, financial responsibility, failure to maintain lane; held, $3,000 bond
* Wayne Richard Plouffe, 41, Troupe Road; possession of schedule II drug (four counts), evading arrest by foot (two counts), escape; held, $28,000 bond
* Joseph Michael Schneider, 35, Railroad Avenue; driving on suspended license, running red light/stop sign; released, $250 bond
* William Daniel Sharp, 31, Bryant Road; public intoxication; released, $1,000 bond
* Ann Marie Shockey, 20, Lorien Circle; public intoxication, drinking age law; released, $750 bond
* Ashley Ann Szczepaniak, 29, Lewisburg; driving on revoked/suspended license, open container; released, $500 bond
* Cory Wayne Vann, 29, Daytona Lane; DUI; released, $2,500 bond
* Thomas Wayne Woods, 41, U.S. 41A North, Unionville; check law (five counts); summons delivered
* Marsha Lyn Yates, 42, South Cannon Boulevard; DUI (second offense), open container, failure to maintain lane; released, $3,000 bond