[Masthead] Partly Cloudy ~ 68°F  
High: 79°F ~ Low: 61°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Woman attacked for two days, finds refuge in convenience store

Friday, July 6, 2012

A Shelbyville woman is recovering from a horrific multi-day incident which a police detective calls the worst case of domestic violence he's ever seen.

Her husband, David Wayne Johnson Jr., 28, was arrested Wednesday after she escaped their Pickle Street home and ran to a nearby convenience store where the manager locked her inside as her husband circled the parking lot in his car.

"I've never seen a case this brutal in 12 years," Detective Sgt. Brian Crews said.

Gun imprint

"He came in Monday and began attacking her," Crews said. "He repeatedly attacked her with objects, held a gun to her chest so hard it has left an imprint of a gun barrel and she has cuts and bruises over her entire body."

Johnson cut all her clothing, photos and other personal items to pieces, according to Crews. The wife of an officer has started a drive on Facebook to obtain clothing for the victim.

"She said she had been held against her will since Monday and had been assaulted numerous times since then," officer Mitchell Warren said in his report. "She had made several attempts to escape with no luck until she caught him with his back to her and was able to make her way to the front door and run for help."

Multiple attacks

During her ordeal she was attacked with numerous items including a toy hammer and toy train track belonging to their children, ages 7, 5 and 4, who were at the residence until Tuesday afternoon when Johnson called his mother to pick them up, police said.

"Her eyes were almost swollen shut," detective Carol Jean said. Her forehead and one side of her head were seriously bruised and she had a serious cut on her leg where a kitchen knife had gone entirely through the skin, police said.

The argument began after Johnson saw Facebook messages she'd sent to another man, police were told.

Johnson fled to La Vergne where he was arrested, Crews said. He is charged with especially aggravated kidnapping and especially aggravated rape and is being held on $500,000 bond at Bedford County Jail.

Small cuts and scrapes were seen on Johnson's arms and legs, police said.

Family didn't help

The mother, Mary Ann Johnson, 55, and his sister, Sheila Ann Johnson, 22, both of La Vergne, were charged with accessory after the fact and were released on $50,000 bond apiece.

Investigators allege both women were aware of the attacks when they came to Shelbyville to pick up the children, but did nothing to stop him. Sheila Johnson is accused of slapping the victim in the face.

Shelbyville police have no records of previous violence involving the couple, but Crews said they had only lived here for a short time.

Safe haven

The manager of the BP Serv-N-Go store on South Cannon Boulevard said she saw the victim screaming for help as she ran from Johnson, who was pursuing in his car. Devi Nichols led the victim into the store's office and locked outside doors until police arrived.

"She was very upset and in great pain from injuries" but at first would not identify her attacker, Warren said.

Bedford County Emergency Medical Service transported the victim to Heritage Medical Center for treatment. She is now in a "safe place," investigators say, and the Department of Children's Services is involved with the care of her children.