A man told police he was robbed and struck with baseball bats in the Boston Street area off Fairfield Pike early Thursday.
The victim said he was nearing his home when two men hit him with the baseball bats and took $70 from a pants pocket after 2 a.m., police said.
"A small, red area on the back of his head was not consistent with an assault with a baseball bat," officer Jarred Frazier said in his report, but the victim was taken to Heritage Medical Center by ambulance.
The men were described as black, with one wearing a purple shirt.
It's surprising how much trouble one barbecue grill can cause.
The resident of a Courtland Drive home arrived home about 9:45 p.m. Thursday to discover the grill was missing from her front porch.
After all in the home denied taking the grill, the owner followed a path left by its wheels and found coals dumped out two houses away. The path continued to Tate Street and to the back yard of an Elm Street residence where the grill was recovered, police said.
A fight developed over the grill Wednesday night when two men accused the resident of the Elm Street home, who has not been charged with a crime as of Friday, of stealing it.
Billy Joe Farrar, 19, of Greenwood Avenue and Tony Paul Farrar, 26, of Courtland Drive allegedly hit the man, who defended himself with an iron skillet. The Farrars were each charged with disorderly conduct and released on $1,000 bond apiece.
The following were arrested since Thursday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Andreas Suarez Arrilga, 19, Oakdale Street; no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, $500 bond
* Janice Faye Blessing, 47, Green Lane; filing false report; released, $2,500 bond
* James Eugene Carpenter, 49, Murfreesboro; failure to maintain lane, DUI (second offense), violation of probation; released, $7,500 bond
* Billy Joe Farrar, 19, Greenwood Avenue; disorderly conduct; released, $1,000 bond
* Crystal Gail Farrar, 34, White Street; bondsman surrender; held, no bond
* Tony Paul Farrar, 26, Courtland Drive; disorderly conduct; released, $1,000 bond
* David Farrar Gentry, 48, Adams Lane; DUI (second offense); released, $3,000 bond
* Chase Logan McMahan, 21, Coop Road; DUI by allowance; released, $2,000 bond
* Taylor Claire Mosley, 22, Landers Street; domestic assault; held, $3,000 bond
* Richard Alan Overstreet, 56, Richdale Lane; public intoxication; released, $500 bond
* Jonathan Lynn Poe, 30, Hill Street, Wartrace; driving on suspended license; released, $500 bond
* Cassandra Kaye Poteete, 18, U.S. 41A North; theft involving merchandise; released, $250 bond
* Tyler Davis Riggs, 24, Landers Street; domestic assault, disorderly conduct; held, $5,500 bond
* Suzanne Marie Sherman, 29, West Lane Street; violation of probation; held, $2,500 bond
* Trisha Karma Spence, 18, U.S. 41A North; theft involving merchandise; held, $250 bond
* Stephanie Lynn Stamps, 28, Cross Plains; bondsman surrender; held, no bond
* Jesse Clyde Stephens Jr., 74, Franklin; domestic assault; released, $2,500 bond
* Nellie Jo Stephens, 73, Franklin; domestic assault; released, $2,500 bond
* Melissa Anne Talbot, 32, Hill Street, Wartrace; possession of schedule II drug, theft involving merchandise; released, $1,000 bond
* John Tyler Thomas, 26, Stonegate Circle; DUI (third offense); released, $6,000 bond
* David Glenn Trombley II, 27, Fairfield Pike; violation of probation; held, no bond