Rhodes, 23, was lighting a fire in a friend's backyard on July 22 when a flash fire occurred, engulfing his body in flames. He received second and third degree burns over 80 percent of his body and was airlifted to Vanderbilt via LifeFlight that evening.
Although not covered by health insurance, he spent a week in intensive care and was discharged with strict instructions regarding burn care and treatment at home. He was re-admitted this week with a bacterial infection and is currently being treated with antibiotics and hydrotherapy.
Dustin worked at Shelbyville Lumber until the accident. He is a former volunteer firefighter in Bell Buckle. His father, Rob Rhodes, is a captain at Shelbyville Fire Department.
A benefit auction will be held Sunday at 1 p.m. at Bedford County Agriculture Center on Midland Road. The event will feature a cornhole tournament, food and music.
A benefit account has been established in the name of Dustin Rhodes at First Community Bank of Shelbyville. Cards and letters of encouragement may be mailed to Rhodes at 312 Thompson St., Shelbyville, TN 37160.
According to Nicki, tests are being conducted to determine the type of staph infection Dustin is fighting, but early concerns are that he has contracted MRSA.
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a bacterium that causes infections in different parts of the body. It's tougher to treat than most strains of staph because it's resistant to common antibiotics. MRSA is carried by about 1 percent of the population, although most of them aren't infected.