A Walmart cashier admitted to store personnel she has been stealing from customers for approximately six months, Shelbyville police were told Saturday.
Lawanna Jean Ash, 40, of Rippy Ridge Road, had been under surveillance since June 27 after allegedly selling a customer two $50 gift cards but keeping them for herself and using them later in the day, store security told police.
The store was later forced to reissue the cards at no cost to the customer, a manager said.
Ash made a written confession to the thefts after being confronted by the store's loss prevention department Saturday, police said. She was charged with theft Friday and posted $500 bond.
A driver charged with reckless driving on Madison Street late Sunday night said he was "dodging holes in the roadway that the city needs to fix," police said.
Zachary Jones admitted speeding but denied driving recklessly, officer Gregg Loyd's report said.
Loyd said he followed Jones from Celebration Drive to the Roses parking lot, noting Jones "appeared to be traveling at a high rate of speed" and abruptly changing lanes in front of other vehicles.
Police recovered rings three young girls played with, then buried under a tree after one stole them from a Morton Street home Saturday.
One of the girls either climbed through or reached into a window of the home and stole a jewelry box, officer Justin Smith's report said.
Another girl was hiding two rings in her pocket and the box was recovered from a nearby house, police said.
"Ultimately all of the stolen property was recovered...and (the parents) were lectured at length about the ramifications of the actions of their kids," Smith said.
A wallet was stolen from a purse in the nursing department at Tennessee Technology Center-Shelbyville, Madison Street, at mid-afternoon Wednesday, police were told Thursday.
A Shelbyville man was seriously injured Friday when he lost control of his scooter on Dow Drive and crashed into the parking lot of Fairlane Church of Christ, police said.
Michael Vannatta told police loose gravel caused the loss of control.
One side of the SHOW (Sound Horses, Honest Judging, Objective Inspections, Winning Fairly) organization's building on Colloredo Boulevard was sprayed with the words "Horse Abusers" in red paint overnight Thursday, police said.
The following were arrested since Friday by the Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Alyssa Michelle Allison, 18, Old Pencil Mill Road; DUI, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of schedule VI drug; released, $4,000 bond
* Jonathan Wayne Anders, 24, Adcock Road; possession/sale of schedule III drug, possession/conspiracy to distribute schedule III drug; held, $12,500 bond
* Leland Dewayne Armstrong, 23, Shelbyville Mills Road; violation of probation; released, $2,500 bond
* Lawanna Jean Ash, 40, Rippy Ridge Road; theft of property; released, $500 bond
* Kurt Allen Blanton, 18, Orchard Lane; violation drinking age law; released, $250 bond
* Gary Lynn Bly, 29, King Arthur Trailer Court; violation of probation (two counts), introducing contraband into penal institution; held, $97,500 bond
* Mark Steve Brown, 56, West Lane Street; violation of probation; summons delivered
* Sabastian Sabastian Clemens, 24, Archery Lane; DUI, no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, $2,500 bond
* Brian Keith Dennis, 27, Orchard Lane; bondsman surrender; held, no bond
* Gerardo Villasana Escobar, 40, Winding Way; DUI; released, $10,000 bond
* Ezequiel Real Estrada, 32, Cedar River Road; DUI; released, $500 bond
* Wyatt Earp Flannery, 28, King Arthur Trailer Court; DUI, light law, financial responsibility, implied consent; released, $1,000 bond
* Daniel Colt Freeman, 26, Couch Lane; theft of property-shoplifting; released, $1,000 bond
* Harold William Goins Jr., 52, Smyrna; DUI (third offense); released, $5,000 bond
* Cristobal Gregory Hernandez, 26, Ward Circle; aggravated assault, criminal impersonation; held, $40,000 bond
* Ricky Patrick Mahaffey Jr., 29, Murfreesboro; domestic assault; held, $5,000 bond
* Heather Ann Martin, 28, Barksdale Lane; criminal responsibility for facilitation of a felony; released, $2,500 bond
* Troy James Neal, 34, King Arthur Trailer Court; promotion of meth manufacture; released, $2,500 bond
* Randall Lynn Shinkle, 43, Tremont Drive; driving on suspended license, running red light/stop sign, registration law; released, $250 bond
* Jennifer Leigh Smithson, 28, Smyrna; theft involving merchandise; held, $1,500 bond
* William Kasey Stocstill, 20, Baker Street; driving on revoked/suspended license, vehicle light law; released, $500 bond
* Melissa Shawan Story, 38, Reese Street; theft of property-shoplifting; released, $1,000 bond
* Jerry Lee Thompson, 26, Highway 64 West; harassment (three counts); released, no bond
* Troy Wayne Warner, 27, White Street; domestic assault; released, $1,000 bond
* Brandon Wayne Watts, 25, Columbia; violation of probation; held, $1,000 bond
* Rosalee Jane Webb, 29, King Arthur Trailer Court; promotion of meth manufacture; released, $2,500 bond
* Raymond David White, 20, Nashville; drinking age law; held, $500 bond