The keys told the story.
Manuel Rotillo Sales, 27, of Bridlewood Drive was charged with falsely claiming his vehicle had been stolen -- after the investigating officer noticed the SUV's keys were hanging from his pocket.
A green Isuzu Rodeo registered to Sales wrecked in a grassy area at the end of Couch Lane shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday, police were told. Witnesses described several people seen running away.
Sales called reporting the alleged theft at 12:50 a.m. Sunday. He told Lt. Mike Baker he was sitting on his porch 30 minutes earlier listening to music from the SUV's stereo when two men got in and drove away.
Baker noted Sales fit the description of one of the people at the wreck site. Suspicions arose after Baker learned Sales had waited 30 minutes after the alleged theft before calling police.
Sales posted $1,500 bond.
A checkbook, compact discs and an ATM card were stolen from a car at a Madison Street convenience store between 3-6 a.m. Sunday.
A window air conditioner was taken from a Tillett's Trailer Park residence Friday, police said.
Two horses and a mule found on U.S. 231 North near Deason were taken into "custody" by the Bedford County Sheriff's Department on Friday.
Call 684-3232 for more information.
The following were arrested since Friday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Crista Jo Bromley, 26, Regent Drive; disorderly conduct; released, $500 bond
* Wendy Nichole Churchwell, 31, Peyton Drive; DUI; released, $500 bond
* Robert Anthony Crowell, 47, James Crowell Road; DUI; released, $500 bond
* Jose-Aaron Vera Falcon, 38, Archery Lane; no driver's license/exhibited on demand, financial responsibility, speeding; released, $500 bond
* Lori Renee Freeman, 23, Sanders Street; disorderly conduct; held, $500 bond
* Melvin Corey George, 25, Petersburg; public intoxication, disorderly conduct; released, $1,000 bond
* Rachel Allene Grafton, 21, Unionville-Deason Road; DUI, light law, open container, speeding; released, $500 bond
* Juan Gonzales Granados, 24, Baker Street; driving on revoked license; released, $1,500 bond
* Jeremy Michael Holmes, 26, Stonefield Circle; failure to appear; released, $2,500 bond
* Richard Daniel John, 27, Madison Street; violation of probation; summons delivered
* Garry Lee Kelso, 31, Cleveland Road; violation of probation; summons delivered
* Anthony Charles Labee, 26, Christiana; public intoxication, assault, disorderly conduct; released, $3,000 bond
* Michael Lee McCulley, 41, Carter Street; public intoxication; released, $250 bond
* Pascual Martin Miguel, 35, East Cedar Street; no driver's license; released, $500 bond
* Christopher Lamar Miles, 24, Murfreesboro; possession-conspiracy to distribute schedule II drug, possession of schedule II drug for resale; held, $30,000 bond
* Jeremy Shane Nelson, 33, Carter Street; failure to appear; held, $2,500 bond
* John Nathaniel Newson, 22, Templeton Street; domestic assault, violation of probation; held, $5,000 bond
* Scott Allen Raney, 23, Smyrna; violation of probation; released, $3,500 bond
* Amanda Sue Reid, 28, Temple Ford Road; resist stop/frisk/halt/search, tampering with or fabricating evidence, possession of schedule II drug for resale, possession/conspiracy to distribute schedule II drug; held, $150,000 bond
* Pedro Mendosa Rodriguez, 44, Manchester; public intoxication; held, $1,000 bond
* Manuel Rotillo Sales, 27, Bridlewood Drive; filing false report; released, $1,500 bond
* Daryll Duran Smith, 27, Cherokee Trail; violation of community corrections; held, no bond
* Jennifer Leigh Smithson, 29, Smyrna; violation of probation; held, $2,500 bond
* Jeremy Jan Swain, 32, Barton Drive, Normandu; domestic assault; released, $3,500 bond
* Susan Michelle Totty, 41, Smith Road, Bell Buckle; DUI (third offense); held, $3,000 bond
* Julie Ann Williams, 24, Barksdale Lane; public intoxication; released, $500 bond