A Shelbyville man has been charged with striking a 7-year-old boy during an argument in a Depot Street parking lot Tuesday.
William David Berry, 37, of Bethany Lane allegedly hit the boy in the head. The child told police Berry became angry and struck him in the forehead with his fist; police said a large contusion was visible.
Berry also bit his girlfriend, the boy's mother, several times in the hand, police said. He was charged with domestic assault and was being held on $3,500 bond Wednesday.
It was a rough day for the adult victim, who arrived at her home, also on Bethany Lane, to discover a television set, Playstation 3 and 15 games, two external computer hard drives and a rented DVD were gone. She suspected a roommate who moved out earlier in the day took the items, police said.
* An XBox 360, 20 games valued at $1,200 total, a Playstation 2 and one game were stolen from an unlocked Deery Street home during the day Wednesday, police said.
* A woman who sold her car June 19 told police the new owner didn't change the license plate as required by law.
As a result, the seller was charged with running a red light in Balcones Heights, Texas (near San Antonio) after a traffic camera photographed the vehicle's license number.
She has reported the plate as stolen.
The following were arrested since Monday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* William David Berry, 37, Bethany Lane; domestic assault; held, $3,500 bond
* Mary Cathleena Blindt, 29, Landers Street; aggravated burglary, vandalism, theft of property; held, $27,500 bond
* Cassie Rose Ann Bowers, 34, Barksdale Lane; robbery, violation of probation; held, $7,500 bond
* Amaro Fidela, 38, Dunnaway Road; no driver's license, registration law; released, $250 bond
* Clarence Haywood Pope, 81, Chestnut Drive; sexual battery by authority figure (two counts); released, $30,000 bond
* J.T. Slaughter, 51, Collier Avenue; DUI: held, no bond