With a defense attorney saying there is "a lot of work to do," a kidnapping and domestic abuse case has been continued until next month.
David Wayne Johnson will be before a judge on Jan. 14.
Johnson was indicted by the Bedford County grand jury last month for especially aggravated kidnapping (two counts) and aggravated rape (two counts).
Defense attorney John Norton requested a continuance, telling Circuit Court Judge Robert Crigler he has had several meetings with assistant district attorney Mike Randles but there is still a lot of work to be done.
Johnson's wife told police she escaped the couple's Pickle Street home on July 4 after being held captive and abused for several days.
She ran to a South Cannon Boulevard convenience store, police said, where the manager locked her inside as Johnson allegedly circled the parking lot in his car before leaving as officers approached.
Johnson is currently free on $1.1 million bond.