Pit bull's bites seriously injure owner
A Shelbyville man was seriously injured when attacked by his own pit bull Sunday night, police were told.
Donald Merlo of West End Circle suffered severe bites to the face and arm, officer Chris Vest said in a report. Merlo was airlifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center after initial treatment at Heritage Medical Center, police said.
The dog weighs approximately 50 pounds and was taken into custody by Shelbyville Animal Control. Merlo told police the dog was not up-to-date on shots.
A suspect who told police she uses marijuana to help her sleep was arrested early Friday.
Officers notified of a domestic dispute at an Anthony Lane apartment found only Nichole Lynn-Arella Kangas, several cats, marijuana, a hookah and drug paraphernalia.
"Kangas told us that she 'smokes a bowl a day to help promote sleep,'" officer Tory Moore said in his report.
The officers confiscated 5.10 grams of marijuana, a grinder and roller, rolling papers and a glass pipe with residue inside.
Kangas was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
l Marijuana was discovered in a vehicle following a traffic stop Thursday night, police said.
The pot was found in a car driven by Arturo Ramires Ronquillo, 24, of Tanner Circle after he was clocked at 70 mph in a 40 mph zone on Madison Street, officer Jody Shelton said.
Officer Jose Garza said he found 8.73 grams of marijuana in a backpack.
Ronquillo was charged with DUI, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, speeding and running a red light. He was held on $5,000 bond.
l "Heart medication" in the possession of a suspect was actually a prescription-only anti-depressant, police found Saturday.
Gillis Summersett, who police said did not have a prescription, was charged with possession of legend drugs without a prescription and public intoxication after being arrested at an Edgemont Drive home early Sunday.
The pills were found after Summersett was being booked on a charge of public intoxication following an alleged incident at the home.
A bottle of morphine tablets and most of the contents of a bottle of Lortabs were stolen from an Enden Avenue home late Thursday afternoon, police were told
A car was stolen Sunday afternoon from the parking lot of CVS Drugs, North Main Street.
Security video showed two white males get into the car and drive away, police were told.
Storage unit entered
Bags of clothing, xBox 360 games, DVDs, jewelry and pocket knives were stolen from a storage unit on East Lane Street, police were told Friday.
Some of the items were discovered in a trash bin at a nearby trailer park, the victim said.
The following were arrested since Thursday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
* Andrea Michelle Armstrong, 38, South Cannon Boulevard; DUI (second offense), failure to maintain lane; held, $3,500 bond
* Agustin Perez Clemente, 36, Oakdale Street; driving on revoked license (fourth offense), failure to maintain lane; held, $4,000 bond
* Tylor Blake Fults, 21, Manchester; theft of property; held, $2,000 bond
* Alice Grey Hathorn, 23, Carlisle Avenue; possession/conspiracy to distribute schedule II drug, criminal attempt, possession/sale of schedule II drug, possession/sale of schedule VI drug; held, $10,000 bond
* Jason David Jacobs, 31, Tremont Drive; aggravated domestic assault; released, $30,000 bond
* Debra Irene Malone, 51, North Main Street; public intoxication; released, $250 bond
* Frank Thomas Pitts, 75, Philippi Road; domestic assault; released, $250 bond
* James Thomas Pitts, 51, Philippi Road; domestic assault; released, $250 bond
* Carlos Reyes, 39, East Lane Street; public intoxication; held, $250 bond
* Arturo Ramires Ronquillo, 24, Tanner Circle; DUI, possession of schedule VI drug, reckless driving, no driver's license, speeding, running red light; held, $5,000 bond
* Rachel Diane Scoggins, 38, Carlisle Avenue; possession/conspiracy to distribute schedule II drug, criminal responsibility for facilitation of felony, bondsman surrender; released, $5,000 bond
* Brandon Anton Wells, 30, Lynchburg; domestic assault; held, $2,500 bond
* Sean Craig Woods, 29, Gowen Drive; driving on suspended license, failure to yield; released on recognizance