On to the finals: Central girls tennis team advances
The Shelbyville Central Golden Eaglettes kept their season alive in team competition on Monday evening, defeating Tullahoma in the District 8-AAA semifinals, 5-2.
The Eaglettes got another strong start in singles action, taking 4-of-5 from the Lady Wildcats.
No. 1 Keely Smith claimed an 8-3win over Katie Myers, while No. 2 Sydney Smith battled for an 8-5 win over Aubree Turner.
The Eaglettes also claimed an 8-2 win at the Nos. 3 and 4 flights.
Arin Harwell defeated Tullahoma's Morgan Anderson while Madison Brown claimed her win over Sara Petty.
Tullahoma managed to avoid the singles sweep, though, and dealt Priscilla Morales a tough 8-5 defeat.
Still, the Eaglettes managed to split doubles with Tullahoma, which was enough to finish off the win.
Smith and Cooper took down Myers and Goodwin at the No. 1 doubles match, 8-2, while Tullahoma edged out an 8-5 win against Harwell and Brown in the No. 2 match.
Shelbyville will return to action on Monday when the Eaglettes host No. 2 seed Coffee County at 4 p.m.
SCHS girls def. Tullahoma 5-2.
1. Keely Smith (S) def. Katie Myers (T) 8-3.
2. Sydney Cooper (S) def. Aubree Turner (T) 8-5.
3. Arin Harwell (S) def. Morgan Anderson (T) 8-2.
4. Madison Brown (S) def. Sara Petty (T) 8-2.
5. Renee Goodwin (T) def. Priscilla Morales (S) 8-5.
1. Smith/Cooper (S) def. Myers/Goodwin (T) 8-2.
2. Turner/Anderson (T) def. Harwell/Brown (S) 8-5.