Thief roams city street, breaks into unlocked cars
Multiple vehicles were burglarized in west central Shelbyville overnight Tuesday. Carlisle Avenue was particularly hard-hit, Shelbyville police said.
Items taken from Carlisle Avenue include a total of $210 from three vehicles, five packs of cigarettes, a Florida Gators backpack and Dallas Cowboys wallet.
A cellular phone and a wallet containing $200 were stolen from two vehicles west of Carlisle on Lewis Avenue.
Another vehicle was entered, on Pickle Street at the east end of Carlisle, but nothing found missing.
Several victims told police they'd left their vehicles unlocked.
A battery theft suspect wasn't exactly charged up about things after his arrest Wednesday night at Walmart.
Joseph Cameron Perez, 28, of Rockwood Drive allegedly stole two battery chargers, several battery packs and two containers of glue as a security employee watched, police said.
Perez allegedly told the security employee to "call the cops" as he refused orders to stop. The cops were called, given a description of the SUV in which Perez left, and stopped it several blocks away on North Main Street.
He was charged with two counts of theft of property and one count each of vandalism and burglary and was being held on $12,000 bond Thursday at Bedford County Jail.
Several Monster energy drinks and children's toys were found in the possession of a woman who allegedly attempted to leave Walmart without paying on Wednesday, police said.
Deborah Michelle Mills, 40, of Peacock Lane was charged with shoplifting. She posted $2,500 bond.
Stranger in town
Residents of Fairfield Road East in Wartrace reported trespassers to the Bedford County Sheriff's Office late Wednesday night.
A tall man wearing a tan jacket and hat was seen at the property and getting into a white Chevrolet Tahoe. Nothing was stolen, the complainants said.
The following were charged since Wednesday by the Bedford County Sheriff's Office, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
• Bartolo Gonzalez Arenas, 31, Charlie Shaw Road; leaving scene of accident; released, $3,000 bond
• Thomas Lynn Brummitt, 28, Glendale Road; violation of probation; released, $1,000 bond
• Joseph Lee Davenport, 40, Coop Road; possession of drug paraphernalia; released, $500 bond
• Jonathan Alan Hendrix, 34, Davis Lane; domestic assault; held, $2,500 bond
• John Brandon Hickman, 24, Virgil Crowell Road; failure to appear, capias; held, $12,500 bond
• Corey William King, 29, Hickory Hill Road; possession of schedule II drug; released, $30,000 bond
• Deborah Michelle Mills, 40, Peacock Lane; shoplifting; released, $2,500 bond
• Joseph Cameron Perez, 28, Rockwood Drive; theft of property (two counts), vandalism, burglary; held, $12,000 bond
• Brandon Clint Reed, 30, Columbia; failure to appear; released, $5,000 bond
• Brandon Michael Shultz, 27, Stonefield Circle; violation of probation, possession of drug paraphernalia; held, $16,000 bond
• Jeffrey Tyler Waters, 24, Maplewood Drive; violation of probation; released, $1,000 bond
• Melinda Louise West, 40, Shelbyville; domestic assault; held, $500 bond