Two suspects arrested for 'living' in residence
Two alleged intruders at a Hoover Street home, one who told police she was living there, were arrested after being discovered by a caretaker Wednesday.
Juanita Bunn Howard, 48, of Evans Street had in her purse two pipes she said were for crack and one she claimed was for marijuana, Shelbyville police said. Howard and Charles Edward Wilson, 41, of West End Circle, had apparently been living in the home for some time while one of the residents, who is receiving medical treatment in Nashville, and his wife were away.
A man who has been watching the home for the residents noticed the air conditioner in operation, heard noises and discovered a barricaded upstairs door. Wilson came downstairs moments before police arrived and Hawkins was found hiding in an upstairs closet, officer Tory Moore said.
Both suspects told police the home's residents, who didn't know them, had given permission for them to stay there. Both were charged with burglary; Howard was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and Wilson, in an unrelated case, with aggravated domestic assault. Wilson was being held at Bedford County Jail on $35,000 bond and Howard on $25,500 bond Thursday.
Approximately 30 minutes earlier, a Ford F-250 pickup was reported stolen from the home.
A suspect -- not one of those arrested later -- was named, who allegedly took the truck's keys and drove away May 5.
An inmate at Bedford County Jail returned from the courthouse Wednesday with marijuana, tobacco, rolling papers and a "pink crystallized powdery substance," the Bedford County Sheriff's Office said.
Kenneth Stanhope was charged with possession of schedule II and VI drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia and introducing drugs into a penal institution, a BCSO report said.
A woman walked away from Walmart, North Main Street, without paying for a pack of diapers Wednesday, police were told.
Larissa Lynn Smith was charged with shoplifting and banned from the store for 24 hours, a report said.
The license plate was stolen from a car at Walgreens, North Main Street, between 2-4 p.m. Wednesday, police said.
The following were charged since Wednesday by the Bedford County Sheriff's Office, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial Circuit Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
• Daniel Blaine Armstrong, 43, Scales Road; domestic assault; released, $3,000 bond
• Fredrick Paul Ghiroso, 63, Cantonment, Florida; public intoxication; held, $500 bond
• John David Gorney III, 27, Lewisburg; violation of order of protection; released on recognizance
• Juanita Bunn Howard, 48, Evans Street; aggravated burglary, possession of drug paraphernalia; held, $25,500 bond
• Gabrielle Renee Malone, 23, Murfreesboro; failure to appear; held, $50,000 bond
• Jessica Katherine Pearson, 35, Oakwood Place; failure to appear; released on recognizance
• James Christopher Whitaker, 40, Manchester; theft of property; held, $20,000 bond
• Charles Edward Wilson, 41, West End Circle; aggravated burglary, aggravated domestic assault; held, $35,000 bond