Driver pinned under truck escapes with minor injuries
The driver of a car which ended up lodged under a large truck trailer after a traffic accident Tuesday amazingly escaped with only minor injuries.
James Durand, 65, of Lewisburg was "alert and oriented when he was talking to us (emergency responders) as we tried to get him out," officer Michael Taylor of the Shelbyville Police Department said. "I talked to him at the hospital and he had only cuts and bruises."
Durand was southbound on U.S. 231 North at Highway 437 Bypass and lost control of his car after striking a truck driven by Paul Bischoff, 53, of Lynchburg, Taylor said. The Durand car slid off and back onto U.S. 231, ending up under a tractor-trailer driven by Marvin Chambers, 57, of Paw Creek, North Carolina.
Shelbyville firefighters "jacked up" the tractor-trailer to remove Durand, Taylor said.
Walking a long distance became too much for a Shelbyville man who police say rode away from Kroger on a motorized shopping cart Tuesday afternoon.
Thomas Eugene Greer, 31, told police he'd walked from his home on South Cannon Boulevard and rode the cart to a girlfriend's home on Scotland Heights. Officer Russ Grubbs spotted Greer, who allegedly said he planned to return the cart after his visit, near her residence. He was charged with theft of property and released on recognizance.
Greer found himself in much deeper trouble after an altercation a few hours later, Police said Greer allegedly entered an East Lane Street home where a second woman described as a girlfriend was staying with a friend. The woman told police she'd moved in with the friend due to alleged abuse from Greer.
Witnesses told police Greer hit the girlfriend in the head and mouth and threatened another resident of the home with a pocket knife before bystanders took his cane. He was found by police on North Thompson Street and charged with aggravated assault and domestic violence. He was being held on $25,000 bond at Bedford County Jail on Thursday.
A suspect who allegedly ran from deputies in June was arrested Tuesday.
Ryan Gregory Hill, 25, of U.S. 231 North was with a man who had been reported as an overdose victim in a car parked at a church near Deason on June 21. Hill appeared unconscious but awakened quickly and began running away after a semi-automatic handgun was found in his clothing, a Bedford County Sheriff's Office report said.
Hill was tackled approximately 100 yards away by Maj. Nakia Elliott and subdued with three taser jolts from deputy Savannah Martin. He is charged with evading arrest, unlawful possession of a weapon, driving on a revoked license, DUI, resisting arrest, possession of a handgun while under the influence, possession of a schedule IV drug and firearm use in association with dangerous felony; released, $125,000 bond
• A 2000 GMC Jimmy with a "messed up" rear end was stolen Tuesday from a home on Green Acres Road, according to the BCSO.
• A riding lawn mower was stolen from under a carport at a U.S. 41A South home between Saturday and Tuesday, the BCSO was told.
The owner said he had noticed a man in a black SUV taking photos of mail boxes nearby,
The following were arrested since Tuesday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Office, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
• Waylon Eugene Burnett, 28, Blue Ribbon Parkway; violation of probation; released, $2,500 bond
• Austin Douglas Cleek, 25, Shaw Road; attachment, capias, failure to appear, held, no bond
• Tasha Nicole Cline, 31, Gordonsville; violation of probation; held, $2,500 bond
• Mauricio J. Mondragon Cortes, 27, Murfreesboro; failure to appear, financial responsibility, no driver's license/exhibited on demand; released, no bond
• Ruben Juarez Cortez, 32, Madison Street; violation of probation; released, $3,000 bond
• Thomas Eugene Greer, 31, South Cannon Boulevard; theft of property; released on recognizance; Second arrest: domestic assault, aggravated assault, aggravated burglary; held, $25,000 bond
• Julius Dominaque Guinn, 31, Tanner Circle; violation of probation; released, $1,000 bond
• Ryan Gregory Hill, 25, U.S. 231 North; theft of property, evading arrest, unlawful possession of a weapon, driving on revoked license, DUI, resisting arrest, possession of a handgun while under the influence, possession of schedule IV drug, firearm use in association with dangerous felony; released, $125,000 bond
• Tresean Lewis McKay, 22, Green Lane; violation of probation (two counts); held, no bond
• Robert Austin Mohrmann, 19, Sun Circle; driving on suspended license (second offense), light law, financial responsibility; held, $2,500 bond
• Amber Nichole Nichols, 29, Belmont Avenue; failure to appear, bondsman surrender, capias; held, $5,000 bond
• Jeffrey Allen Stokes, 28, Center Street, Normandy; auto burglary, theft of property; released, $8,000 bond.
• Angela Michelle Watkins, 45, McMinnville; violation of probation; released, $3,000 bond