Intruder says he wanted to warm up
A man who said he had fallen into Duck River and was attempting to get warm walked into a Pickle Street home without permission early Wednesday night, Shelbyville police said.
The resident told police she walked into her kitchen to find a strange man in her home.
The suspect, Earl Manier Jr., told officer James Sharp he had been given flakka earlier in the day. Flakka is described on medicinenet.com as "a new generation of bath salts" and can cause hallunications.
Officers had been called to the area a few minutes earlier when a Pickle Street neighbor of the victim complained of a man "yelling and screaming" outside her home.
Manier was charged with aggravated burglary and public intoxication.
"Voices" told a man to take items from the basement of a Shelbyville day care center Wednesday, he told police as he was being arrested.
An employee said Anthony Dewayne Polly, 43, of Belmont Avenue allegedly attempted to open basement doors at Little Eagles Nest Day Care, Union Street. Polly told her "the voices had led him there to get the junk out of the basement," she told police.
Polly showed up at Shelbyville Mills Baptist Church, across the street from the day center, about 3:30 p.m., according to police. He told officer Rod Stacy "voices had led him to the stuff and he was going to get it." He was arrested after allegedly yelling toward a woman at the day care center.
Police charged Polly with attempted burglary and disorderly conduct. He was being held on $27,500 bond Thursday.
• A gaming system, video games and and pair of tennis shoes were stolen from a Wartrace Pike home between 8:50 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, police said.
A suspect was named.
• A cellphone was stolen from a home on Sims Road Tuesday night, police were told Wednesday.
The following were charged since Wednesday by the Shelbyville Police Department, Bedford County Sheriff's Office, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force, They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
• Aleyah Danielle Buckingham, 19, Earnhart Street; violation of probation; held, $7,500 bond
• Skyla Nichole Burton, 20, Estill Springs; DUI, due care, seat belt law; held, $2,500 bond
• James Harvey Farrar Jr., 42, Neeley Avenue; attachment-child support; held, $500 bond
• Anthony Dewayne Polly, 43, Belmont Avenue; attempted burglary, disorderly conduct; held, $27,500 bond
• Jay Dalton Pope, 25, Perry Acres Road; bondsman surrender; held, no bond