COVID-19 victim 
remembered as ‘joyful’

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Co-workers at Kincaid Service Company and many of their customers are mourning the COVID-19 related loss of a longtime service technician who had become more like a family member.

Ray Scott Holston, 47, of the Kelso community in Lincoln County, died Wednesday at St. Thomas West Hospital in Nashville. Holston became ill in late June, Mark Kincaid said Thursday.

“Ray was like a brother to us. We all loved him. He was like a family member,” Kincaid said. “He was just a wonderful, happy-go-lucky guy, a very good service man, a great guy.”

Holston often serviced appliances in customers’ home. Many posted on Facebook about his friendliness and ability to get along well with others.

“He brought joy to the lives of every person who had the good fortune of having crossed his path,” a statement on Kincaid’s Facebook page said.

Ordeal begins

“He started showing symptoms June 30, just started feeling bad. We told him to go home and to get tested,” Mark Kincaid said.

Holston was admitted to Lincoln Medical Center in Fayetteville on July 3 and transferred to St. Thomas West in Nashville the next day. Kincaid said.

St. Thomas doctors had put Holston on a ventilator and an ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) machine, which removes, filters and oxygenates blood, according to Kincaid. Holston had also been on kidney dialysis since becoming ill.

Kincaid said he and other staff members were surprised at the amount of time between Holton’s initial COVID test and release of results. Later tests by St. Thomas were returned much faster, he said.

Holston was repeatedly tested after his diagnosis, the final test on Monday, Kincaid said. All were positive.

All active employees have tested negative for COVID-19, Kincaid said, noting Holston had not been in the building for weeks. Holston’s 75-year-old mother, Becky Price Massey, also an employee of Kincaid Service Co., tested positive at one point but is asymptonatic, Mark Kincaid said.

Holston is also survived by two sons and two grandchildren. A memorial service is planned for a later date. See funeral arrangements on Page 2A.