Julia Delk in a 1930s-vintage photo of the popcorn stand on the southeast side of the Shelbyville square.
The popcorn stand on the Shelbyville square -- from which goodies are served today only on a few special occasions -- has a history going back into the 1930s.
Julia Delk and her husband Burt Delk, were the original operators of the popcorn stand on the square. Here she is in a photo taken at the stand in the 1930s.
Burt Delk died in 1939 and Julia supported her family with the popcorn stand during the 1940s, according to a 1999 T-G story by Kay Rose. Jim Tune told people at the time he didn't sell popcorn at his theater so Julia could support the family, her daughter Alene English told the T-G.
Shelbyville had two theaters at that time - the Princess (today's Capri) and the Bedford, located roughly in the center of the south side of the square. Which one was Tune's?
The stand reopened for a while in 1999, operated by the agency in the building directly behind it - Healthy Families/Children First (today's Center for Family Development).
Picturing the Past is featured regularly in this blog. Reader contributions are welcome.