Bedford Ramblings
Steve Mills

What a surprise to greet me late Friday night!

Posted Sunday, February 24, 2013, at 11:54 AM
View 8 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • The National Weather Service and tell you the most likely time it was struck if you get a GPS and tell them the location.

    -- Posted by kings11 on Sun, Feb 24, 2013, at 12:31 PM
  • Interesting. I'll see if my phone gps will get me that. I would like to know.

    We got more excitement right after I posted this. There was no activity all day yesterday but the wind is picking up gently and apparently enough to throw some sparks.

    When I went down a few minutes after posting this, I found brush fires on two fronts coming up the hill. I ran back to the house, got shovels and told my wife we were back on. The two of us swatted fires until a strong breeze started flames 10 feet or higher, so I made the 911 call again.

    Our Bell Buckle responders knew what we had so they called Wartrace and had a four-wheel drive tanker come along with an additional water tanker.

    It only took about 5-8 minutes and they were there, checking on us first since we were out of breath from whacking flames, then proceeded to put what we hope are the final touches to the event.

    The four-wheel drive truck was able to get next to it and they sprayed everything they had to make sure it would not be causing us further excitement.

    There is supposed to be some rain coming tomorrow so maybe I can move on to another blog post, like our first garden club meeting this coming Friday. :-)

    -- Posted by stevemills on Sun, Feb 24, 2013, at 1:42 PM
  • Maybe the squirrels were gathering flint instead of nuts!

    -- Posted by chefgrape on Sun, Feb 24, 2013, at 2:18 PM
  • I'll check for flint. LOL

    While I was pulling some logs up from the woods to cut for firewood, Deb went down to check on the tree again. One section was still smoking a little and it was flipped over so she thought it really had not been wet down by the fire hose.

    She was right! We went back down with a few gallon jugs of water and a chainsaw. I cut through the log so I could flip it over and as soon as I got close to the center the smoke started pouring out.

    I got it flipped over and we started pouring the water to the smoking embers. It was actually quite hot and I have no doubt that it would have re-ignited with a little breeze.

    It was protected from any rain, so if Deb had not double-checked, we would be at it again within a few days, if not sooner. By cutting it up, I opened it up to any rain and the water we brought seems to have been enough. BUT, we will keep checking anyway.

    -- Posted by stevemills on Sun, Feb 24, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • Another check this morning and I could not find a warm spot anywhere, let alone a hotspot. I will refrain from saying it is over until after these next few days or rain and wind, but it looks that way.

    -- Posted by stevemills on Mon, Feb 25, 2013, at 7:21 AM
  • Yes I think we may be in for a good soaking tonight and maybe another week before I can safely open the windows a few days and air this house out...can't wait!

    -- Posted by chefgrape on Mon, Feb 25, 2013, at 2:18 PM
  • dude that is really amazing.

    -- Posted by 4fabfelinez on Sun, Mar 31, 2013, at 7:50 PM
  • It tended to create goosebumps to see a roaring furnace in the middle of our woods. We were talking about that again this Saturday with friends in Bell Buckle.

    -- Posted by stevemills on Mon, Apr 1, 2013, at 9:39 AM
Respond to this blog

Posting a comment requires free registration: