Front of attached greenhouse where I plan to add an additional attached Hot/Cold frame. (before tidying it up)
I woke up this morning with this project running through my mind. Many of you already know that the first stage of re-working the garden bed in front of our attached greenhouse was finished a few weeks ago, after much pick axing, shoveling and sweat.
I really expected that to be the end of it, so I thinned and repositioned the iris, tiger lilies, daffodils and mints, with room to add annuals as the seasons progressed. I forgot to take into account the other residents of our home, the dogs and cats.
I knew the cats would pay a little more attention to the soft dirt for a while but I did not count on two of our dogs loving the soft dirt as well. They explored and then dug out depressions where they could lay "just right". After replanting a number of plants, a number of times, I decided something had to change.
Last night several issues converged in my sleep and I am now developing it. The house needs repainting this year so what you see in the picture is going to be covered in a new layer of paint. Deb is considering a whole change in color so that made my mind me think color as well. My color in mind is white, which will be explained later.
This area is problematic because of rain and sun beating this area hard, so I was starting to think about doing the section in a different material than wood, maybe vinyl.
Then I started thinking about the garden. How do I discourage the activity or protect the garden?
I had experimented with a small, temporary cold-frame on a section of this garden and had medium success, but knew I would have to get serious about it, if it was really going to be productive.
Productive, moist soil up against the house had me concerned because of the invitation it gave to termites and I was not going to use harsh chemicals to stop them, then grow plants and more than likely edible plants in the same soil.
The base of the rock wall was already discouraging to termites because gravel and hard soil comes right up to it so it would not take much to enhance that repulsive attribute. With that solved I started thinking about making the whole length of the greenhouse an enclosed growing space.
That bring about a whole new barrage of questions, challenges, obstacle and solutions, so I figured I would just start sharing it here and see what ideas develop. Both mine and hopefully yours.
This initial post is already way too long so I will stop here, regroup my thoughts and start with a second post later today. If you have already done something like this, please feel free to jump in any time, even before my net post.