By DAVID MELSON - firstname.lastname@example.org
At least two units were damaged when a fire broke out at Post House Apartments on West Blackman Boulevard (State Highway 64) in Wartrace shortly before midnight Thursday night.
The fire damaged the home of Danny and Katie Syler. Neither was injured.
“There were flames coming through my front door. I don’t know if it was electrical or what,” Danny Syler said as he watched Wartrace and Bedford County firefighters spray the door’s charred frame and pull out wiring and insulation. “We’d gone to bed and I got up for a moment and the flames were coming through my door. I have no idea how it started or would have started.”
Firefighters were inspecting a unit above the Sylers’ in the two-story brick building for possible smoke or water damage. The flames were confined to the first floor.
The initial radio call was for “mulch on fire” near the apartment. Several callers said “mulch” was ablaze, Wartrace Fire Chief Mike de Jesus said. Moments later another call said the blaze had “spread into the foundation” and the building, one of several In the complex, was catching fire. No mulch was visible around the area that caught fire and Syler said he wasn’t aware of any near his unit.
Wartrace firefighters said a possible cause of the blaze was a cigarette left on a chair near a wall, according to de Jesus.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here