A marijuana cigarette was found on a 75-year-old homeless man who told Vanderbilt Bedford Hospital personnel he was left there Saturday night, a Shelbyville Police Department report said.
Phillip Goats told Officer Samuel Campbell he was “dropped off at the hospital by the lady that runs the homeless shelter because he had nowhere else to go,” in the report’s words.
Hospital staff told Campbell that Goats was refusing to leave the emergency room waiting area.
Goats was initially charged with an outstanding warrant for violation of probation. Campbell said he found the marijuana cigarette before entering the jail. Goats said the marijuana wasn’t his and must have been planted on him.
He was held on $500 bond for possession of a schedule 6 drug.
•A homeless man police were told was intoxicated and asking passersby for food and money in the parking lot of Family Chiropractic, North Main Street, was charged with public intoxication Saturday night.
Fernando Sebastian Gaspar, 19, allegedly smelled of alcohol and was carrying two cans of beer, one open. Sebastian said he was charging his phone at a nearby outlet and was sleeping in nearby woods.
Police said they were given two false names by Sebastian, who they were familiar with from previous contacts. Sebastian was also charged with impersonation and underage consumption and held on $1,500 bond.
An intoxicated driver almost hit a neighbor’s house on Boston Street and struck their barbecue grill and lawn furniture Friday night, police said.
Raul Giron Godinez, 42, was turning off Deery Street en route to his home when the accident occurred, according to an SPD report. He was charged with DUI, driving on a revoked license, and violations of the open container and implied consent laws, and posted $3,500 bond.
Officer Letisia Diaz’s report said he refused to cooperate with police or perform field sobriety tests.
•A large amount of personal property was reported stolen from a storage room of a carport at a Bird Street home Saturday, Shelbyville police said.
The residents said they don’t enter the room often and are unsure when the items may have been taken.
•Two televisions were stolen Friday or Saturday from a South Maple Street home. A suspect was named.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol will hold a sobriety checkpoint at 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21 on Highway 41A North, .9 miles south of the 3-mile marker.
The following were arrested since Thursday by the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office, Shelbyville Police Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol or 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force. They are only charged; guilt or innocence will be determined by the courts.
- Christian Adams, 24, Watertown; attachment; released, $1,000 bond
- Juan Larios Alonzo, 26, King Arthur Court; domestic assault; released, $3,500 bond
- Timothy Ray Arbogast, 34, Church Street; violation of probation; held, no bond
- Amy Michelle Arendall, 36, Tate Avenue; simple domestic assault (two counts); released, $5,000 bond
- Dylan Lee Billings, 21, Murfreesboro; probation revocation; released, no bond
- Tiffany Leeann Currier, 34, Couch Lane; burglary (aggravated), theft over $1,000 (two counts); released, $20,000 bond
- Terrance Preston Eddings, 23, West lane Street; show cause, violation of probation; held, $2,500 bond
- Phillip Allen Goats, 75, homeless; simple possession of schedule 6 drug, probation revocation; held, $500 bond
- Raul Giron Godinez, 42, Boston Street; DUI, driving on a revoked license, open container law violation, implied consent; released, $3,500 bond
- Edgar Hernandez 34, Quarry Street; DUI (1st), speeding, implied consent, driving on a revoked license; released, $3,000 bond
- Brianna Lacole Johnson, 23, Lewisburg; failure to appear; summons issued
- Bruce Anthony Johnson, 61, Pass Road; simple domestic assault; held, $3,500 bond
- Juan Sebastian Josias, 28, Bridlewood Drive; speeding, no driver's license; released, $500 bond
- Isaiah Kir-Harris, 23, Carlisle Avenue; aggravated assault and aggravated domestic assault; held, $13,000 bond
- Cory Scott Melton, 34, homeless; public intoxication; held, $1,500 bond
- Seferino Moreno, 32, Randolph Street; simple possession of schedule 6 drug; released, no bond
- Jacob Tyler Parker, 22, Madison Street; financial responsibility, no driver's license; summons issued
- Alvero Godinez Perez, 40, Ridgewood Drive; speeding, driving on a suspended license; released, no bond
- Angel Martinez Perez, 46, homeless; no driver's license, speeding (two counts); held, $500 bond
- Jose V. Rojas, 47, Central Avenue; driving on a suspended license, speeding; released, no bond
- Fernando Sebastian Gaspar, 19, homeless; public intoxication, impersonation, underage consumption; held, $1,500 bond
- Stanley Lynn Smith, 56, Central Avenue; violation of registration law, violation of probation; released, $3,00 bond
- Thomas Crocket Smotherman, 65, Cemetery road, Bell Buckle; DUI, failure to yield to a stop sign; released, $4,500 bond
- Jerome Thomas Sobrowski III, 45, Nashville; probation revocation, show cause; held, $1,500 bond
- Dylan Lee Stockstill, 25, Hurricane Grove; failure to appear; released, $1,500 bond
- Douglas Cody Tomlin-Hunter, 31, Baker Street; violation of probation; held, $1,500 bond
- Savannah Kai Wilhoite, 19, Carlisle Avenue; aggravated domestic assault; held, $7,500 bond
- Jennifer Lee Ann Williams, 43, Hawthrone Road; violation of probation; held, $1,500 bond